Sign up for the mailing list, and get free slow-mo video and tablature! Learn More

Unplugged and Overcranked

Going Acoustic at 120 Frames Per Second

By July 7, 2014codenews, News

The design of our smartphone camera mount has taken a quantum leap of sophistication in its most recent iteration. In fact, it has matured to such an extent that we’ve been using it in our own projects here at Cracking the Code. We recently produced a series of special features spotlighting Season 2 picking techniques in various musical styles.

Even though we have more to tweak with the design, the mount performed with a level of reliability that almost made us forget we were using a prototype. In particular, its gripping stability limited the rolling shutter artifacts of the iPhone 5S camera more than expected, considering that guitars like the Martin D28 put out a positively seismic level of vibration worthy of their Dreadnought moniker!

In the first installment of our “Down Around the World” series, we take a look at two musical styles that couldn’t be further from dragons and Viking ships. In upcoming Season 2 episodes, we’ll note surprising mechanical similarities across all players, both amplified and not.

Whether it’s major 9ths and flatted fifths or crosspicking and driving rhythms, this series will have something for all types of players. Slow-motion video and tablature will be available as free downloadable extras exclusively for Season 2 purchasers.

We’re thrilled with how the mount is turning out. You can’t click “buy” yet, but if you like where we’re going with this, you can definitely click “share”. You’ll find those buttons at the top of this post — go ahead and give it a shot!

Brendan Schlagel

About Brendan Schlagel

Brendan wears many Code hats, including interview production, website wrangling, marketing strategy, and product design.

• Skydog says:

Dude! You’re killing me! When is season two coming? Fantastic work!

• Chris says:

Continued nice work, Troy!

• wow, I wanna buy that smart phone camera mount! please drop me an e-mail if you’re interested in selling it 🙂

• Brendan Schlagel says:

Not quite ready yet to offer this for sale, but we’d love to soon, and are working on it! If you’re signed up for our mailing list, we’ll definitely let you know as soon as we have updates on this front. Thanks!

• Rob Clardy says:

Will there be tab available for the “Down around the world series?” Since watching “Cracking the code” I went back and absolutely filed my Transcribe! folder with all the licks that I wanted to learn before, so I’m not looking for the short cut, just some time savings. Keep up the awesome work, guys!

• Rob Clardy says:

Yep – I’m an idiot. Simply overlooked up.

• Troy Grady says:

No worries — there is indeed tab included. For others with the same question, the Season 2 page includes all the details on what’s available with a Season Pass.

• Lee says:

This is great < Wow you have made me a teenager again !!!! You have really set the standards for all who want to learn ! I played growing up and in V. Nam, I stayed in the field mostly and only played ( my twelve dollar guitar ) when I got back to the rear. After some injuries I had trouble playing anything But this has made this 65yr. old trying to learn again. I will promote this wonderful website to all who want to really learn… This is a blessing in the most positive way and nothing is greater than MUSIC…… Thank You all so much
    Lee

• Troy Grady says:

Thanks! Thankfully, age isn’t really a factor in learning these techniques. In many of the best players I’ve interviewed, and all the pioneers of virtuoso playing are over 50 at this point, and they are still the standard by which other techniques are judged. Thanks for watching the show!