The Cracking the Code Pickslanting Primer is our step-by-step guide to the fundamentals of guitar picking technique.
Among elite players, pickslanting is probably the most widely used set of techniques for clean and accurate picking. In the Pickslanting Primer, we’ll learn how it works, and take a detailed look at how it’s used by legendary players like Yngwie Malmsteen, Eric Johnson, Michael Angelo Batio, John McLaughlin, and more.
The complete download package includes 5+ hours of video lessons, over 30 detailed “how-to” tutorial chapters, 80+ example clips in ultra-revealing 120fps slow-motion video, and complete tablature in PDF and Guitar Pro.
Learn about the incredible power of downward pickslanting — with complete blueprints of Yngwie’s and Eric Johnson’s picking techniques.
- DWPS and Yngwie Malmsteen: “Get Down for the Upstroke” and “Inside the Volcano” features
- Eight-chapter tutorial on critical concepts in Yngwie’s downward pickslanting system
- DWPS and Eric Johnson: “Eric the Right” feature
- Nine-chapter tutorial on the most fundamental components of Eric’s downward pickslanting strategy
- Yngwie-style and EJ-style slow-motion clips + complete tablature for all examples
Learn about the legendary accuracy of John McLaughlin’s picking technique, and step through the fundamentals of upward pickslanting mechanics with the awesome Strunz & Farah.
- UWPS fundamental mechanics with Strunz & Farah: four chapters
- UWPS and John McLaughlin: three chapters on John’s blazing scalar and arpeggio patterns
- Strunz & Farah-style and McLaughlin-style slow-motion clips + complete tablature for all examples
Learn how two-way pickslanting enables you to play alternate-picked scales across the strings. We’ll show you how to achieve 2WPS, and look inside the techniques of Michael Angelo Batio and Steve Vai.
- 2WPS and Michael Angelo Batio: “Conquering the Scale” lesson
- Ten-chapter video tutorial demonstrating exactly how to achieve two-way pickslanting a la Batio
- 2WPS and Steve Vai: “Crossroads Diminished Fours” lesson
- Batio-style and Vai-style slow-motion clips + complete tablature for all examples
Pickslanting Primer comes with tons of useful resources to help turbocharge your learning:
Detailed tutorial chapters and mechanics primers, like “Guitar Anatomy”, to walk you through the most important concepts.
All of our tutorial chapters come with extensive slow-motion clips that give an up-close view on the picking mechanics used for each example.
Watch the First Five Chapters
The Pickslanting Primer contains over five hours of in-depth instruction on downward, upward, and two-way pickslanting strategies. But why is pickslanting such an important concept in the first place?
Watch the five chapter, 25-minute Pickslanting Primer introduction to learn why clean, accurate picking is such a challenge, and how pickslanting can help.
Get Ready to Fast Forward!
The Cracking the Code Pickslanting Primer contains over 5 hours of groundbreaking technical insight, and dozens of slow-motion technique examples.